Saturday, October 18, 2014

Check Out My New Pipes!

When I bought the Osprey, Patty (former owner) told me that the head (toilet)
had a leaky pipe and that her husband told her not to use it, so she didnt, ever.

After I bought the boat, the head was the last thing I wanted to deal with, and therefore, I didn't. It wasn't until the morning before the maiden voyage that we even tested the head to find out where the leaks were coming from. After staring down that stinky pretzel-hosed beast, we found that one of the hoses was wrapped in duct tape, and that made me weary.


Before I let my worries get ahead of me, we tested the head, and sure enough, no leaks! After the getting to my new marina, I found a slight bit of free time on my hands, and was not content with the mis-match, grimy looking tubing. The black and fresh water systems quickly escalated to number 1
on my hit list.

Yet again, my dear friends the Flemings spent countless hours helping me map and replace
the nasty, algae-filled, grungy old lines with fresh new pipes!



Next on the list, the fresh water tank... After tracing the lines, two big problems stood out: the vents and the fresh water fill pipe were at the bottom of the anchor locker. In other words, to fill the fresh water tank you had to take the anchor and all of its line out and reach down to the bottom of the anchor locker. What sort of *** designed that?!

Being that the vents were also at the the bottom of the anchor locker, when/if the anchor locker filled with water, that nasty water would backfill into my freshwater tank through the vents. This would inevitably and unknowingly find its way into things of such importance as my morning coffee... gross!

This had to be fixed.

The first  step was to drill some holes in the deck, eek! And reroute the lines for the fresh water fill and the vents. I decided to mimic the black water pumpout line by routing the hose up to the deck in the v-berth. I routed the vents right in front of them to try and give it a clean look.



The fresh water fill cap was easy to install, the vents on the other hand, what a pain! Apparently the fiberglass thickness of my deck is not so consistent, and the threaded shaft on the vent caps was just not long enough to reach through the deck and thread on. We had to (painstakingly) shave down bottom of the deck to get it to thread on. End result looks pretty good though!

In the process of rerouting the fresh water fill line, I dropped my shiny new water fill cover overboard, and right into the sound. I watched helplessly as it slowly sank to the bottom. At least I didn't drop my beer too...

After all of this, we were getting ambitious, and decided to add an inline water filter to the sink. After buying all the required parts, relaxing with a beer on the boat got the better of us, and we decided to call it a night.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear about your newly-installed pipes. The old ones really look worn and torn, no wonder you felt weary about them. Anyway, you did a great job in installing the new pipes, with the help of your friends. I'm sure that's a big less on your worries. Thanks for sharing that, Pajo! All the best to you!


    Lovella Cushman @ Perfection Plumbing

    ReplyDelete