Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Painting the Inside, Part 1

I had my first weekend on the Osprey, and quickly of tired of all of the dark wood. Don't get me wrong, I like the aesthetic appeal of natural wood as much as anyone, but too much in a small space really gives the feel of a gloomy dungeon.


I was having trouble deciding where I wanted to start with the project. When I bought the boat, a couple of the doors were missing, but it came with replacements that needed a bit of re-sizing (AKA the door to the bathroom was too big for the opening). I took this as a hint and started taking all the doors off along with a few cabinets.


I started with the door to the head, I used the ol' measure once cut twice adage and it worked quite well. After cutting the door to size, it was lots and lots of sanding. I decided to re-stain the trim on the door to keep some of the natural wood look. FYI stain takes for ever to dry, and the sealant, even longer...


As I waited for the stain to dry, I turned my attention to the rest of the cabinet doors. The nice folks at Lowes helped me choose a nice and durable paint for a marine environment.



Three coats of paint later and this is what I had to show for all my work...


After two days, lots of sandpaper and plenty of beer, here is the final product. 



Check back in for part two when I decide to tear apart and repaint the master bedroom!


No comments:

Post a Comment